HOME TO LONGWOOD GARDENS, WINTERTHUR, BRANDYWINE RIVER MUSEUM, HAGLEY MUSEUM, NEMOURS MANSION & MORE
FIND IT FAST!
Torpedo Casement
The Citadel   2001 Photo by S. Fox
 Tour Fort Mifflin  Click > 123456 7 8 9 10 111213141516 17 18 19 20Home
Fort Mifflin on the Delaware
Digital Photos by S. Fox, Chadds Ford, PA, November 17, 2001
Kodak DX3500

The Citadel
This structure as you see it is what's left of the Commandant's House, a two story residence that was built here over the foundation of the Citadel. The house dates from 1835. It had apartments suitable for two commanding officers.

The one story Citadel was built in 1796 to the design of L'Enfant. It was intended to be the last line of defense for the fort, much like a medieval castle keep. Forty-five gun portals hidden in the walls have been discovered evidencing the buildings original use. To the right of the Citadel can be seen the front of the soldier's barracks with its covered piazzas and yellow brick walls.




©  Unica Online